Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Looking Back Looking Ahead

Let's talk about 2006.

I wrote a letter to Santa in 2005 as a recap of the year, but this Christmas I decided not to write to Santa anymore. Didn't have any wishes to ask. Besides, I'm getting too old to write to Santa.

2006.. hmm.. lots of "first"s in that year.

It started off with a bang. Literally. I spent New Year's eve in Las Vegas with my gorgeous roommie. Who's off to Europe right now looking for Parisian hunks. I hope she's successful, cause she has promised to bring home one for me. Keke.

Oops digressed a bit there.

2006 was a year of change. I changed from "student" to "actuarial analyst". Can't sleep in just because I feel like it anymore. No more homework or assignments. No more eating in Hubbell. Have to dress up properly everyday. Have to act professional.

I moved from Des Moines to Louisville. All alone. A little scary but quite liberating as well. I'm finally living alone after 5 years of dorm life. I love having roommates though. Miss all my roommies.

I visited a few places. The Grand Canyon, House on the Rock (Wisconsin), Disney World! (Orlando), and St Louis (Missouri). Had a lot of fun.

I went home finally after almost 3 years. So many things changed but so many things didn't change as well. I ate a lot of good food, met all my cousins and friends and relived the 'mamak' experience. Which made me feel that the best place to be is still home. Even if the quality of life is supposedly not as good, even if I don't earn as much there, home will always be home.

And 2006 ended with another bang. A different kind. After a little more than 5 years, I'm now single, available but not desperate. Yet. Keke. Back to where I began, but older and wiser. It's been a good journey, and I'm ready for a new chapter in my life.

I left last year with a lot of questions and some confusion. This year, I might not get all the answers I want, but I will do my best to search for them.

I spent last year doing all the things that I thought I should do, whether I want to or not. I started things with my heart, but let my head overrule everything. This year I'm going to follow my heart, and do what I really really want.

Last year I spent too much time studying and working. This year I want to pay more attention to my family (including my cousins) and friends.

If 2006 was a transition year, I want 2007 to be a year of self-discovery. It's going to be all about the me inside. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok, this was meant for the previous blog, but I'm putting it here anyway cause I'm lazy. You look very pretty in the dress and all made up! And you have earrings!
    And the plan to find a hunky Parisian guy failed, though I did meet a hot Greek dude in London. But nothing to tapau home for you. Maybe next time, and word of advice, visit Europe in any other time but winter. I kid you not. You won't like the gloomy weather, and the horrible rain.
    Erm, I think I lost the plot already. So, there, my first comment on your new blog. From London. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete