Reminiscence
And so it ends. Another chapter in a story that's still unfolding, full of the typical ups and downs, parallels and dissimilarities, and the usual comings and goings.
My days are counted by school semester, so it's not odd that I'm reminiscing now. Having my last final tomorrow morning, then I'll pack and leave Des Moines in the afternoon. Not to return until mid-August. Gonna miss this city? Doubt it. Ironically, I hold more attachment to Ames (city where my boyfriend attended university, about 40 mins away from Des Moines) than this place, but it's the people in Drake that I'm gonna miss.
I started this academic year by transfering to a different university, leaving behind a college with unfinished business and bittersweet memories. It's amazing how quickly we make new friends and find our own niche in a new place. There are things about Grinnell that I still and will always miss, but in its place I've found other perks.
It's always when things are about to change that we realize how comfortable we've been with our routine. Late night suppers in Spike's, walking back to Jewett after supper with a close friend, loitering outside Jewett to talk just a little bit more, looking forward to Fridays when my boyfriend picks me up, eagerly planning new recipes to try over the weekend, snuggling together while watching movies, grumbling about having to wake up early the next morning... the list can go on and on.
An entirely different chapter is coming up. I'm excited, though I must admit that I have no idea what to expect, which undoubtedly causes a little nervousness. Summer would give me a taste of the life that I'll live soon enough, though with more spoonfuls of fun and variety, and less doses of tedium and financial worries. Once again, I'll make new friends and find my own niche in a new place.
And so it begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment